Terrazzo Care & Maintenance Tips
|The Ardit Company is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
|THE ARDIT COMPANY
Tile - Marble - Terrazzo - Seamless Floors
Helpful Tips for Terrazzo Maintenance:
Terrazzo is ground and polished and sealed with a penetrating Terrazzo Sealer.
This protects the surface from immediate stains, but no spillage should be
ignored and allowed to soak and dry into the floor. The following good
housekeeping procedures are recommended by the National Terrazzo &
Mosaic Association and will ensure that your floor remains clean.
- DO ask us to recommend the proper neutral cleaner and sealers to be
used on your floor.
- DO dust mop your floors daily. This not only picks up the dust, but also
the grit tracked into your building. The grit acts as an abrasive on your
hard surface floor.
- DO scrub your floors a minimum of twice a week, where a new Terrazzo
floor has been installed for the initial two to three months, as the
construction dust is still in the air and will eventually be deposited on
your floor. After this period, once per week, depending on the amount of
foot traffic, keep your floor clean in appearance. Always rinse your floors
well to prevent a build-up of cleaner residue that could become slippery.
- DO seal your floors with a water-based acrylic sealer in accordance to
the manufacturer’s instructions. Normally, a new floor requires two or
more coats, which provide a good sheen for a period of 45 to 60 days,
before needing additional coats. Sealer should be classified by
Underwriters Laboratories, as slip resistant with a rating of minimum
- DO use maintenance products designed for Terrazzo.
- DO allow your neutral cleaner, once applied to the Terrazzo surface, time
to react as designed to loosen foreign matter. Several minutes should
be adequate, but DO NOT allow solution to dry on surface.
- DON’T use purely surface waxes, or all purpose sealers. Employment of
such can result in slippery surfaces.
- DON’T use all-purpose cleaners containing water soluble inorganic or
crystallizing salts, harmful alkali or acids. Use of such products could
prove harmful to your Terrazzo floor.
- DON’T use cheap cleaners or sealers - most are not designed for
Terrazzo. Only water soluble solutions with a PH Factor between 7 and
10 should be used.
- DON’T try "miracle" cleaners or sealers on your floor without getting an
opinion on such products from an Ardit Representative or the NTMA.